WELCOME TO WIMBLEDONIAN WARRIORS UNDER 11s!
(for children born after 1st September 2006 and before 31st August 2007 - Year 6)
At U11s we play contact rugby. It is a 9-a-side game incorporating running, passing, tackling and rucking with uncontested 3-player scrums. The key difference for the players this year is the introduction of ball carrier plus 2 and tackler plus 2. We also introduce tactical kicking and kicking restart. This is in line the RFU’s new rules of play (Transitional Contact), a pathway to introduce the game of rugby to young players. There are 3 stages starting with tag rugby for U7/U8s, mini rugby for U9/U10s, and midi rugby for U11/U12s, so that by U13s the players are ready to play the full 15-a-side game.
We have a number of qualified coaches, first aiders and RFU qualified referees for our U11 set up which is run by Head Coach Tom Kelleher. We encourage parents to get involved, and will support those who want to take qualifications, so there are enough for all the players to have a great time. All first aiders, coaches and referees are CRB checked.
If you have any specific questions around joining the U11s at Warriors, please contact the U11's Team Manager.
U11 Guiding Principles
As a group of players, coaches and parents we have evolved the following set of principles for how we approach our rugby.
- Ensure a competitive, fun environment
- Build a strong sense of team spirit within the player groups
- Build a strong sense of identity with Old Wimbledonians RFU
- Treat players, coaches, referees and parents with respect at all times
- Recognise and celebrate successes in a positive, supportive environment (from a good pass to winning a tournament)
- Looking to grow the squads and players towards the full 15 aside and Sevens game in line with the RFU Continuum
- Focus on running, passing, tackling and rucking skills to create rounded players
- Send as many teams as possible to tournaments so all players have these great experiences
U11 Head Coach:
OLD WIMBLEDONIAN WARRIORS RFC
143 Coombe Lane, Raynes Park,
London, SW20 0QX
Tel: 020 8879 0700