U9 Head Coach:
WELCOME TO WIMBLEDONIAN WARRIORS UNDER 9s!
(for children born after 1st September 2008 and before 31st August 2009 – Year 4)
At U9s we play contact rugby. This is in line the the RFU’s New Rules of Play (Shaping the Game initiative) which replaces the former Continuum, a playing pathway to introduce the game of rugby to young players.There are 3 stages starting with tag rugby for U7/U8s, mini rugby for U9/U10s, and midi rugby for U11/U12s, so that by U13s the players are ready to play the full 15-a-side game.
We have a number of qualified coaches, first aiders and RFU qualified referees for our U9 set up which is run by Head Coach Keith Malone. We encourage parents to get involved, and will support those who want to take qualifications, so there are enough for all the players to have a great time. All first aiders, coaches and referees are CRB checked.
If you have any specific questions around joining the U9s at Warriors, please contact the Under 9s Team Manager.
U9 Guiding Principles
As a group of players, coaches and parents we have evolved the following set of principles for how we approach our rugby.
- Ensure a competitive, fun environment
- Build a strong sense of team spirit within the player groups
- Build a strong sense of identity with Old Wimbledonians RFC
- Treat players, coaches, referees and parents with respect at all times
- Recognise and celebrate successes in a positive, supportive environment (from a good pass to winning a tournament)
- Looking to grow the squads and players towards contact and 9-a-side next year
- Focus on running, passing, catching and tackling skills to create rounded players
- Send as many teams as possible to tournaments so all players have these great experiences
OLD WIMBLEDONIAN WARRIORS RFC
143 Coombe Lane, Raynes Park,
London, SW20 0QX
Tel: 020 8879 0700